Heavenly Sweet Potato Toast
Trying sweet potato toast was a game-changer for me; from the first bite I just couldn’t get enough! It’s an absolute delight as breakfast or snack and so much healthier than typical bread.
I LOVE bread, but I’ve been cutting down on it over the past year. In the quest to find a yummy alternative for my morning toast, I discovered sweet potato toast! It’s thin slices of sweet potato that you can warm up in your toaster and top with you’re favourite breakfast toppings. I like mine with avocado slices, arugula, hemp hearts and balsamic dressing.
You don’t need a whole lot of ingredients to make these!
- sweet potato
- extra virgin olive oil
See recipe card for quantities.
Cut the sweet potato into 1/4″ to 1/3″ slices. Use a sharp knife and a steady hand! Chop up any remaining sweet potato into cubes for other meals.
Brush the fronts and backs of the slices with olive oil.
Air fry or oven bake the slices until they’re golden brown on the edges.
Top immediately with your favourite toppigns and enjoy, or store in the fridge to enjoy later. To reheat, you can pop a slice in the toaster.
Hint: the thinness of your sweet potato slices will dictate how long they need to be cooked. Check on them half way through to make sure you don’t burn them!
- Spicy – sprinkle the potato slices with red chili flakes before baking
- Garlic – sprinkle the potato slices with garlic salt before baking
I like to use my favourite XL air fryer to make these, but you can also use a regular oven.
Store the cooked sweet potato slices in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
The thinner you slice the slices, the crispier they’ll be. Use a sharp knife and a steady hand for best results. This takes some practice because sweet potatoes are so firm!
This “toast” is a great alternative to bread if you’re trying to cut down on refined carbs like flour. However, 100% whole grain bread is also very nutritious!1
Orange sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene (Vitamin A) – a phytochemical researched for its potential role in human health and disease prevention. They’re also a good source of Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Potassium and Fiber. 2
The topping options for sweet potato toast are endless! I like sliced avocado, arugula, hemp hearts and balsamic dressing. You could also top them with fried or scrambled eggs, feta, tomato slices, or even natural peanut butter!
I like to cube any of the smaller sweet potato pieces, air fry or bake them, and use them in Buddha bowls or salads throughout the week.
Heavenly Sweet Potato Toast
- air fryer optional
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Cut the sweet potato into 1/4" to 1/3" slices, lengthwise, with a sharp knife and a steady hand.
- Brush the front and back of each slice with olive oil
- Fry in an air fryer for about 17 minutes at 390 degrees F, or bake on a parchment paper lined baking sheet in an oven for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees F or until each slice is golden brown around the edges.
- Top each slice with your favourite toppings and enjoy immediately, or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days to enjoy later. To reheat each slice, you can place it in a toaster.
These nutrition values are estimates only. Read my full nutrition disclaimer here.