When I'm exhausted and have no clue what I want to make for supper, this easy taco bowl recipe is a lifesaver! It's quick to throw together, and it's always a hit with my kids (and husband). Featuring a bed of rice with a variety of flavourful toppings, this yummy taco bowl supper is sure to be a winner with your family too.
This extra easy taco bowl dinner is perfect for a family whose members have different food tastes. Each person can pick and choose which toppings they like and create their own perfect taco bowl! I'll often skip the rice altogether in my bowl to make a yummy taco salad. You can also use a tangy pre-made spicy mayo to give it some kick, stick with plain sour cream, or drizzle it with homemade balsamic dressing. There's so many options!
- ground beef
- bell peppers
- olive oil
- cherry tomatoes
- green onion
- spring mix
- taco seasoning
- spicy mayonnaise
See recipe card for quantities.
Chop the bell pepper and onion into ¼ inch slices, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Roast in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions, and cook the ground beef until its no longer pink. Drain any fat and add taco seasoning to the beef.
Create a bed of the cooked rice in individual bowls.
Top the rice with your favourite toppings including the ground beef, roasted pepper & onion, tomatoes, sliced green onions, sliced avocado and spring mix. Drizzle the bowl with spicy mayonnaise.
Hint: you can cook the rice, bell peppers & onions and ground beef in advance and store them in the fridge for up to 5 days to pull out and reheat for easy lunches and suppers!
- Ground beef - instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey or ground pork
- Rice - you can skip rice altogether to make taco salads, or sub the white rice for brown rice or quinoa
- Vegetarian - the ground beef can be replaced with a plant-based ground or black beans to make this vegetarian
Extra Topping Ideas
You can use the topping ideas I have in this recipe, or here are some more you can add or replace on your easy taco bowl:
- grated cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- black beans
- brown beans
- roasted chickpeas
- crushed tortilla chips
You can store the taco bowl elements in air-tight containers separately in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also make meal prep bowls with the ingredients and store lidded in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Yummy & Easy Taco Bowl
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 yellow or red onion
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup spring mix
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 4 tbsp spicy mayonnaise or your sauce of choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Wash the produce, slice the avocado, halve the tomatoes and chop the green onion.
- Chop the bell pepper and onion into ¼ inch slices, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with 1 tbsp of the taco seasoning. Roast in a 400 degree F oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions, and cook the ground beef on a hot pan on the stove until its no longer pink. Drain any fat and add 2 tbsp of the taco seasoning to the beef. Mix the beef mixture and cook for 2 more minutes until the seasoning is combined.
- Create a bed of the cooked rice in individual bowls.
- Top the rice with your favourite toppings including the ground beef, roasted pepper & onion, tomatoes, sliced green onions, sliced avocado and spring mix. Drizzle the bowl with spicy mayonnaise.
- Cook the ground beef to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove
What do you think?