Chickpeas are a delicious plant based source of protein, and they make a great snack or meal addition. When roasted, they taste even better! Here’s my tried-and-true method on how to roast chickpeas.
I’ve been trying to incorporate more plant-based proteins in my diet, and chickpeas are one of my favourites. They’re inexpensive to buy, and you can add them to lots of different dishes like a buddha bowl or a delicious chickpea salad. I prefer them roasted, so I’ll often roast a can or two on Sunday to use throughout the week!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make roasted chickpeas.
- canned chickpeas
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt, pepper & garlic powder
See recipe card for quantities.
I prefer to make these in my air fryer, but you can also roast them in your oven.
Combine the chickpeas, olive oil and seasonings in a bowl. Place the mixture into an air fryer, or on a parchment lined baking sheet.
Air fry at 390 degrees F for 15 minutes, or roast in the oven at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
Hint: for even crispier roasted chickpeas, air fry them for about 3 more minutes, or roast them in the oven for about 5 more minutes.
- Spicy – add 1/2 tsp of chili powder to the chickpea mixture before roasting
- Herbed – add your favourite dried herbs to the chickpea mixture before roasting, like dried thyme, dried rosemary and/or dried basil
I like to use my favourite XL air fryer to make these, but you can also use a regular oven.
Store the roasted chickpeas in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. These do not freeze well.
How to Roast Chickpeas
- 1 air fryer optional
- 398 ml can of chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Combine the chickpeas, olive oil and seasonings in a bowl.
- Place the mixture into an air fryer, or on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Air fry at 390 degrees F for 15 minutes, or roast in the oven at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.